January 30

High school library

Sneaking slowly and stealthily into the inner sanctum of our school library was the only thought on my mind. I could NOT get caught. There was absolutely no way that I was going to go to Sister Dragon Breath’s Drama class! Heck No! My friends and I deliberately got to school late, they actually dropped me off and were not planning to go to school at all; but I just wanted to miss Drama class.

The librarian was a hard to hear elderly nun, Sister Agatha. She didn’t check passes. I don’t even recall what she looked like. What I do recall is that I was the only one other than her in the library. It was small, after all, it was the library for the small Catholic high school and there could not have been more than a dozen high bookcases.

However, there was this one tiny alcove that had a 5 foot high rotating, creaking metal bookshelf. It was there that I crept toward. As I was standing attempting to peruse a book on Shakespeare I came upon  A Midsummer’s Night’s Dream and was intrigued. Once I had the general gist of what was going on, reading was my passion…although a newbie to Shakespeare made it difficult to follow…when suddenly….”Jennifer Peck…please come to the office”…How did they know I was there???? I hadn’t signed into school yet??? 

print

Posted January 30, 2019 by Jennifer Leyden in category Uncategorized